Davis Police want residents to be vigilant about locking their doors and reporting suspicious people. They issued the following release on Friday, as it pertains to a recent trend of burglaries:
Since November 13, 2012, the Davis Police Department has taken six residential burglary reports at three different addresses. Two of the burglaries occurred at the Saratoga West Apartments, 2121 Glacier Dr. while two more occurred at 224 A St; The A St. Apartments. The others occurred in the 700 block of Coolidge and 218 University Ave (Villa Verde Apartments). Electronics and miscellaneous items were removed from all of the burglaries. There were no obvious signs of forced entry on any of the burglaries and most occurred between 10 pm and 8 am.
Crime Prevention while on vacation or away from your home begins with making sure your home is protected while gone. The key is to make your home look like you never left. The Davis Police Department would like to provide these useful tips to safeguarding your home and valuables, especially with the holiday season approaching:
- Always lock your doors and windows, especially when away from your home and while sleeping.
- Keep shades and blinds in their normal positions
- Stop mail and newspapers, or ask a trusted neighbor to pick them up every day.
- Put timers on several house-hold lights so they turn on and off at appropriate times.
- Arrange to have yard work done while you are gone.
- Make sure all your door and window locks are in working order. Activate your home alarm.
- Leave a radio on low, or put it on a timer.
- Turn off the ringer on your phone and turn down the volume on your answering machine.
- Allow a trusted neighbor to park in your drive-way.
The Davis Police Department would also like to encourage residents to use our Vacation House Check Program as well as create a Neighborhood Watch Group for your neighborhood. Residents can obtain more information by calling 530-747-5411.
Anyone with information about these incidents is urged to contact the Davis Police Department at 530-747-5400