City of Davis
In October 2009, the Davis City Council established the position of City of Davis Poet Laureate. This is an honorary two-year position to celebrate the art of poetry and to represent the Davis community. Allegra Silberstein was chosen as the first poet laureate, serving from July 2010 to June 2012.
During a term, the Poet Laureate will act as an advocate for poetry, literature, and the arts and contribute to the fabric of the Davis arts community by reading original works of poetry at a minimum of three official city events and by promoting poetry throughout the community.
How to Nominate:
Davis residents may nominate themselves or another person for the Poet Laureate position. The Poet Laureate must be a resident of Davis and at least 18 years of age. Nominators must fill out a nomination form and submit three original works of poetry by the candidate to the Civic Arts Commission.
Nominations are due Monday April 30, 2012 by 5:00 p.m.
Late nominations cannot be accepted.
Download the nomination guidelines: poet-laureate-nomination-2012.pdf
Nominations may be submitted in one of three ways:
- In person at the Community Services Department office, 600 A Street, Suite C.
- Via email to email@example.com
- Via US Mail to:
City of Davis Community Services
Attn: Carrie Dyer
600 A Street, Suite C
Davis CA 95616
A selection committee, established by the Civic Art Commission will review all applications, hold interviews and make a recommendation to the Civic Art Commission for the new Poet Laureate. The City Council will make the final approval in the selection process.
- The Poet Laureate will be available to serve a two-year term.
- The individual selected will be a Davis resident and at least 18 years of age.
- The individual will have demonstrated a commitment to and passion for poetry and will embrace the opportunity to engage in civic discourse.
- Represent the City of Davis and the art of poetry through outreach related to poetry.
- Present original works of poetry at a minimum of three official City events per year. These events may vary year to year.
- Write and submit for publication poetry about Davis.
- Accept invitations, as schedule permits, to present and discuss her/his poetry or that of other authors at community events, in schools or with community groups.
- Act as a resource for poetry and literary activities in Davis.
The Civic Arts Commission will use the following Selection Criteria to review nominations and recommend a candidate to the City Council:
- A Davis resident involved in the cultural life of the community/region.
- Literary excellence of the applicant, including publication history.
- Ability and willingness to fulfill the roles and responsibilities of the office.
Please submit the following as part of your application package:
- An explanation, in 500 words or less why you feel you (or the person you are nominating) are the most appropriate candidate for the City of Davis Poet Laureate.
- Three original works of poetry by the nominee.
- The nominee's resume.