Davis Patch asked each candidate to fill out a questionnaire to give readers information about his or her background. .
Where do you work and what is your title? I am self employed and have run a small business called Ultra Clean Pool Service for the last 36 years.
When and where were you born? I was born on February 6, 1955 in Hollywood, California.
Family: I have been married to Robin Souza since June 28, 1980.
Where did you go to school?
- Holly wood High School
- LA Pierce Junior College
- California State University Northridge
- UC Davis
- California State University Sacramento
Military Service? No
How long have you lived in Davis? Since February 1979
What’s your favorite thing about this town? Farmers’ Market
Have you run for office in the past? If so, did you win?
- In 1986 I ran and won a seat on the CSUS student Senate.
- In 1988 and 1996 I ran for Davis City Council and lost both times.
- In 2004 and 2008 I ran for City Council and won both times.
Campaign information/contact: www.stephensouza.com
As an adult, have you been convicted or charged with a crime other than a minor traffic violation? If so, please explain.
-- THIS CAMPAIGN --
What is the primary reason you are running for this office?
It has been my pleasure to serve as your City Councilmember for the last eight years. In that time, I've helped Davis become an even better place to live by bringing forth ideas that work to enhance our community and quality of life. I’ve led efforts to save open space and agricultural land, to secure funding for health and public safety services, to balance our city budget and to address our housing needs while staying in accordance with the city’s 1% annual growth guidelines.
I will also demand that all future housing be innovative and address the needs of our community while supporting environmental sustainability.
But my work is not done. I want to continue to lead and serve our community, finding solutions to the issues we face today in collaboration with my colleagues and listening to your ideas. We are a community that brings out in its citizens the need to give back and I have always felt that need to do so. Davis has a sense of place and community that encourages its citizens to give back. That sense of community has inspired me to embark on a 29-year career in activism, civic participation and public service.
What will be your top three priorities if you get elected and why?
The issues before us today are:
- A balanced budget, taking care of our unfunded liabilities and needs
- Job creation and economic development
- A clean, safe and reliable water source
Achieving all of these issues will help to make Davis a more economic, environmental and socially sustainable community.
About how much do you expect your campaign to spend on this election?
Anything else you'd like Davis Patch readers to know?
In collaboration with my colleagues, these are the accomplishments I am most proud of:
- Attracted high tech companies Mori Seiki, Expression Solutions, Digital Technology Laboratory
- Davis retail entities: Trader Joes, Target, Forever 21
- Preserved 4,000 acres of open space
- Secured and pending grants over $20 million for the City’s benefit
- Installed new patrol car camera systems
- Improved streetscapes in Downtown
- Acquired Sacramento River water rights
- Balanced budgets every year in office despite difficult times
- Established the Woodland-Davis Clean Water Agency
My work is not done. It will continue based on three principles: Green, Safe and Smart.
- Implement Plan to reduce our Carbon Footprint
- Expand LED streetlight installation
- Provide energy via solar farms and residential installations
- Deliver long-term clean reliable water supply
- Continue to provide Police and Fire services with maximum efficiencies
- Develop comprehensive funding plan to maintain and improve roads, bike paths and sidewalks
- Implement downtown transportation and parking plan
- Establish an innovation hub
- Create revenue and jobs by having technology invented in Davis implemented in Davis
- Make every effort to bring long term stability to the city budget
- Reinvigorate downtown businesses
I would be honored to have your vote.