Note: The de Vere's Pub Quiz begins at 7 p.m. at . Arrive early to get a seat.
Dear Friends of the de Vere’s Irish Pub Pub Quiz,
Usually my radio show is engaging, but sedate. I interview newsmakers in the worlds of poetry, technology, and innovation, and enjoy unhurriedly discussing my guests’ new projects and interests. This Wednesday’s show, however, will sound in tone and energy much more like a Pub Quiz, for the KDVS fundraiser is upon us.
Please note: Starting this morning, the almost 50 year-old campus and community radio station will be taking this entire week to implore and cajole its listeners and members of the family to support a station that has stood for independent and fiercely self-determined approaches to music, news, and public affairs.
I’ve been hosting my public affairs show, “Dr. Andy’s Poetry and Technology Hour,” since the year 2000, and during that dozen-year volunteer stint I have interviewed a number of Davis public officials, technology wonks from a variety of fields, local and traveling performers and authors, as well as creative professionals all over the country and the world via the telephone. Sherman Alexie, Margaret Atwood, Ian MacKaye, Ralph Nader, Gary Snyder, Steve Westly are among the many notable people have joined me to talk about their literary concerns and aspirations. This year on my fundraiser show I plan to raise $1,000 towards the station’s total goal of $60,000. I hope you will tune into 90.3 FM this coming Wednesday at 5 and be ready to share a tax-deductible donation. You’ll receive a swell thank-you gift; preview the premiums at http://fundraiser.kdvs.org/.
In addition to the hints I just reviewed, expect questions tonight on sleep aids, South America, presidential hopefuls, water, Angelina Jolie, alternative rock bands from the 1990s, college football, universals, Chicago, M*A*S*H, inaugurations, gratitude, Star Wars, Canadian performers, Abraham Lincoln, Hawaii, TV personalities, Asia, card games, flowering plants, rodents, soft drinks (or one of those last four), vice-presidents, India, genetics, American forts, baseball, and the entirety of the works of Shakespeare. I hope you can join us tonight for all the fun.
I’d like to congratulate de Vere’s Irish Pub for keeping our favorite hangout a safe place for revelers to congregate on Picnic Day. There were neither altercations nor arrests at one of the popular places in town, partly perhaps because de Vere’s chose not to open early, and to carefully restrict access. I’m proud to host my Pub Quiz in such a classy location.
I hope you can join us tonight for all the fun!
Here are five questions from last week’s quiz:
1. Mottos and Slogans. What company calls itself "The World's Online Marketplace"?
2. Internet Culture. As of February of 2012, what company founded in 1998 has the most followers on Twitter?
3. Newspaper Headlines. Inexperienced participants in a major annual sporting event were told to wait until next year because of the unseasonably high temperatures in New England today. Name the event.
4. Four for Four. Which of the following actors, if any, played Mousketeers in the 1990s? Christina Aguilera, Ryan Gosling, Keri Russell, Justin Timberlake.
5. New York Geography. One of the outer barrier islands adjacent to the south shore of Long Island, New York is named after one of the ancient elements. Name the island.
P.S. You are invited to listen to KDVS (90.3 FM) all week at http://www.kdvs.org/